Search This Blog

Musings (in search of a creative outlet)

In my desperation to create and express...but finding myself in front of a computer so much of my life....I figured what better place then to take a mental yet creative break...who knows what will happen....

Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Most Amazing Saturday

I had the most amazing Saturday.

Waking up early- and not feeling especially juiced by my current life style- or life in general for that matter- devoured three glasses of water, grabbed a Pepcid AC and 2 extra stength ibuprofen, visited the washroom, and dived back into my extremely luxurious, IKEA decorated bed (with extra pillows), and started contemplating how I had so much to do but all I wanted to do was sleep for the rest of the day.

A phone call from my daughter at 9 reminded me that I had made other promises. "Mom-Did I wake you up...so sorry... Would it be ok if I just drop them off after toast- I'm sorry, I hope that is ok. Even if it is only the twins". As amiss as I was feeling, something started to shift... I think it may have been hearing myself in her voice. The combination of feeling bad for having to ask for help, that I am not really superwoman, eventhough I am trying my damnedest, hating to impose on anyone, but woman enough to admit that I am in over my head at this moment....

I was so proud of my daughter for her open vulnerability, but also wanted to step up and be of actual assistance without letting her overthink it. "Are you kidding- I have been up for hours!" I lied through my teeth. "Come now!"

A few moments later , I heard the slamming of a van door and there they were- sleepy, tousled haired, sweet smelling, comfortably pyjammaed, granddaughters. And the heart melting began. I anxiously waited while an extremely competent mother of three (well four if you count you- know-who) had remembered to pack everything absolutely necessary to see to the welfare of this precious cargo, and actually praised me for having a package of Kraft Dinner in the pantry. We were set. As soon as she left the driveway we ventured out onto the cold front of the front step. Wrapped in blankets, hot drinks in our hands, we began our adventure.

It started with adopting new identities. I became the mysterious and elusive older sister- "Kaliya". Anabella decided upon being "Dad" and Sophia chose to be "Mommy". We went through various scenarios, though most of them were related to the fact that Kaliya had an extraordinary singing voice that often woke her sleep deprived parents from their seldom moments of actual REM. Upon saying "sorry", both parents graciously forgave her, and returned to their pillows...until the singing began again- and the story repeated itself- over and over and over. But it was so fun- and such easy entertainment for all. I was so amazed at how they both understood the concept of making an unintentional mistake, apologizing, and forgiveness. What an important reminder.

We then ventured into the garden and under the giant azaleas. My garden became a magical kingdom of colourful blossoms and sweet smelling blooms, the perfect size for 3 year old princesses to discover their secret powers. I almost remembered exactly how it felt.

The afternoon delight had to be the total freedom they had in (mis) applying makeup to whatever facial feature they desired. Bathtime and clean clothes and into the van for a trip into the forest to find the bears and deers and other tropical wildlife of the Sunshine Coast, and maybe even Goldilocks... As we travelled through winding roads, surrounded by cedars and moss covered tree trunks, lush ferns and trickling brooks- they were impressed, but still wanted to catch a glimpse of those animals that I said would be there. The bears and deers did not appear...I struggled for reasons as to where they were, hoping that they would fall asleep before I had to come up with yet another amazing solution to why the animals werent appearing. ...when lo and behold- what should appear before our very eyes...but a doe and three fawns!
Can you believe our amazment (especially mine!) . Grandma said there would be animals- and there they were! I WAS A HERO!- and very very relieved....whatever the case- it turned out to be the perfect day- for now- tomorrow is another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment